Tuesday, January 3, 2017

BLOG POST

Neil Gaiman, the author of Coraline and The Graveyard Book , as well as many other books, wrote:

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.


...I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind.

And for this year, my wish for each of us is small and very simple.

And it's this.

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.

Please REACT to this quote at length, in your BLOG post this month!

19 comments:

  1. I think that this quote by Neil Gaiman is very inspirational. Right away I can notice that he repeatedly mentions in some way that we are all unique and great and different. This automatically makes us happy. Phrases like "filled with magic" and "dream dangerously and outrageously" give the reader a better view of their future personality. My favorite part is when he strangely inspires us to make mistakes. As said, mistakes can play a huge part of success in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the quote is very inspirational.

      Delete
  2. This quote is very meaningful, full of advice and hope for the year. He digs down to give inspiration, and his words are powerful as much as they mean. Neil Gaiman's wish for everybody is wonderful, as well as wonder filled. The message Neil Gaiman is trying to get across is that: we are all different, and making mistakes is what empowers our differences. And, everybody learns; both from their mistakes and their differences. This is something we all should remember. I know I will...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sanjay when he says that this quote is very inspirational. I can tell that he wants us to shoot for the moon and that mistakes lead you to success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote by Neil Gaiman makes me realize that making mistakes is all right if you don't make it again. I think the author really wants to make us make mistakes and learn from them. I really like the way the author explains how much he feels about making mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this quote is very inspirational. The author tells you that you should not let making mistakes hold you back from doing something you love. He is basically saying, and I quote, "Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will land among the stars."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a quote I cannot disagree with. It is very inspirational. Make sure that you don't let your mistakes hold you back and prevent you from reaching your goal. I really agree with Saniya's quote as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quote definitely makes you think. He first wishes a good year, then says to make mistakes. Once you figure out what he says, this quote is definitely inspiring. He says to make mistakes, new mistakes, so that you discover new things. I agree with Avantika, when she says to not let mistakes hold you back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quote gives me the power to face the world. It tells me make a mistake and learn from it. It tells me to make new mistake is little more advanced then the other. It tells me you can't be perfect and definitely not on the first try.

    ReplyDelete